Monday, November 19, 2007

Being a mother is teaching me...

that I can't be perfect.

I’ve always been a perfectionist. It’s part of who I am. And yet, I think I might finally be ready to hang up at least some of that part of me. Tonight was our cross country banquet and I couldn’t find any of the little weights to attach the balloons to, so I tied them to some old spikes I had in my closet instead. (Yes, I put old shoes on the tables we were going to eat at!) We only had about half of the room to work with because they had already set up for grandparents’ day so it all looked pretty stupid…but I didn’t care. I’ve always wanted to be the best teacher, the best coach, the best wife, the best cook, the best fill-in-the-blank and trying to do it all quite honestly has driven me crazy in the past. And somehow it seems that the most important areas are the ones that get sacrificed. But I’m not willing to do that anymore. I don’t want to sacrifice the happiness of my husband and son to have the perfect banquet. I don’t want to cook the perfect Thanksgiving dinner and not have time to give thanks. I want to enjoy these moments instead of having to make them perfect!

No comments: