Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cooking Indian food

Ever since returning from teaching in India in 2004, Matt and I have gone out to eat or gotten take-out from an Indian restaurant at least once month and sometimes more. But...Indian food is expensive here in the US! And we are trying to spend less now so I finally tried my hand at making it myself completely from scratch. Here's the result...I have owned these three Indian cookbooks and I have spent a year and a half of my life in India and yet, today was the first time I've really cooked it.
The menu consisted of Balti Butter Chicken, Baked Fish with Spicy Almond and Coconut Sauce, Aromatic Rice with Peas, and Garlic Naan. (The naan was premade and frozen--I just added the butter, garlic, and cilantro). Overall, it turned out really well! It only took...2 hours to make! The butter chicken was definitely the favorite. Do you think with that name it came from the healthy Indian cookbook? Probably not... I also made the mistake of using brown basmati rice instead of regular basmati rice--too sticky and too distinctive of a taste.
Hopefully, we will be doing this more often...at least when we have some time on our hands!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats!! If I find any Indian recipes when I am checking out my cookbooks at the library, I'll write them down for ya!