Sunday, November 14, 2010

Can't get in the way of ART

Matt announced to me one night that he wanted to have his 8th grade art class make turkeys out of clay and then paint them a la the painted cows. (Google "Cow Parade" if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I laughed in disbelief. I asked him if he realized how much work it would be to make that much playdough.

He told me would make it himself.

I laughed again.

I talked to my mom on the phone and told her about his idea.

She laughed in disbelief. She asked me if he realized how much work it would be to make that much playdough.

Five days later...

My mom and I made six full size (i.e. 3 cups of flour) batches of playdough. Yes, that's EIGHTEEN cups of flour.

So here's the recipe we used in case you need a good playdough recipe!

3 cups flour
3/4 cup salt
3 cups water
3 T. oil
6 T. cream of tartar

(I'm writing that down so the next time I want to make playdough I don't have to google it!)

And by the way, if you need 24 individual portions for your 8th grade art class, just multiply everything by six...

Who's laughing now? :)


(I have photos of the mass quantities of playdough in my house BUT I took over a thousand pictures this past week and I just can't bring myself to upload them and resize them right now...sorry.)


(By the way, the 8th grade class is also making their own ice cream in science class by shaking bags of milk, cream, sugar and vanilla tomorrow. How's that for a sweet lab? It almost seems like too much fun in one day...maybe I'll go to 8th grade tomorrow.)

1 comment:

Holly said...

I remember making ice cream in highschool chemistry class rolling coffee cans back and forth in the hall. YUMMY!!